Ever wondered just how "special" those specials at your local eatery are? Well, apparently there is a REASON some of these things are on special, and the reason isn't... let's say "tasty". According to some employees (and former employees, I'm sure) of some of our favorite chains, there are definitely things to look out for and avoid!
1. “Seafood specials or buck-a-shuck oysters. It means, ‘My seafood delivery is tomorrow, and I’m trying to get rid of my old stock.'”
2. “Check the menu, and if there is an item used only in one dish, chances are it’s not as fresh as the rest of the menu.”
3. “If you order something that’s not popular (grilled chicken sandwich, salad, etc) it’s going to be old as shit. I’ve seen grilled chicken sit in a warming pan for 8+ hours before being handed out. Salads are usually pre-made once a week, and all we did was add some chicken strips on top before serving.”
4. “Ice, almost everywhere. Unless you’ve seen people take apart the ice machine and scrub the whole thing out, there is definitely mold in those.”
5. “Order what a place is known for. I used to work at an Italian beef place, and the beef sandwiches we served contained Italian beef cooked at another location and dropped off daily, giardiniera and peppers we prepped and cooked ourselves, bread delivered daily … quality food. Fresh. Then, we had a BBQ rib sandwich. A box of them came frozen, we warmed ’em up and sent ’em out. Same thing with a fried steak sandwich we had. It was a beef place; just order the beef!”
For the complete list of "21 Things to Avoid"